Oyster Stew Recipe

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Oysters for Oyster Stew

This oyster stew recipe is really quick to prepare.

It's not low in cholesterol - egg yolks and cream - but I've read that if we eat healthily for 80% of the time, then we can please ourselves for the remaining 20% - sounds good to me ;-)

So - have this sort of food for high days and holidays - the potatoes are used to thicken the broth and it's full of goodness but don't have it too often if you have a family history of high cholesterol ;-)

Oyster Stew
18 oysters - shucked and juice retained
1 medium onion - peeled and finely chopped
1lb (450g) peeled diced potato
2 oz (50g) butter
1 pint (600ml) fish stock/water/wine mixture - use the oyster juices as well
1/2 pint (300ml)milk
2 egg yolks
4 fl oz (100ml) cream

Heat the butter in a pan and gently sweat the onions - don't colour them if you can help it.

Add the potatoes and stir round - sweat a further 10 minutes.

Add the fish stock and simmer for 10 minutes or so until the potatoes are soft.

Puree in a blender or push through a sieve and return to the pan.

Add the oysters and then stir in the beaten egg yolks and cream - it's important to remove the pan from the heat at this point.

Return to the heat and stir gently - do not let the mixture boil or it will curdle - until it thickens. It will take around 5 minutes for the oysters to cook and heat through.

This oyster stew is delicious with hot crusty bread.

Some people have oyster stew as a celebration for Christmas and other festivals. I think it's too good to save just for high days and holidays. 

Oysters used to be really cheap - food for the 'peasants' but they became a delicacy and were then priced out of the range of the ordinary folk. I expect they were cheap because they grew naturally, could be caught by people wanting to earn a living from the land and water and then sold to their contemporaries, much like all fish. 

You may also like these recipes

Some of the links on this site include affiliate links, providing Find-a-Seafood-Recipe a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you. 

Subscribe to Seafood Recipe News - complete the form below.

Your email address is secure and will *only* be used to send Seafood Recipe News. When you confirm your subscription, you will be taken to a page where you can access your free eCourse. Complete the form and it will arrive over the following five days.

newsletter subscribe image

Oyster Stew Recipe

By , Mar 21, 2017

Oyster Stew Recipe

Oyster Stew thickened with potato makes a hearty meal.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 20 minutes

Yield: 4 to 6

Main Ingredient: oysters, potato